VANILLA SABLÉE COOKIES
The French word ‘sablée’ refers to this cookie’s tender, crumbly consistency – its rich buttery flavor the perfect foil for our aromatic Bourbon vanilla extract.
For this – or any – cookie, be sure to allow all of the ingredients to come to room temperature before mixing. Resting the dough in the refrigerator after mixing will firm up the dough and allow for easier rolling and cutting. Any leftover scraps of dough can simply be rolled again once more before toughening. The egg wash not only contributes to the cookie’s golden brown color, but also contributes to greater rise in the oven. Baking temperature and time are based on a conventional oven; if using a convection oven, the temperature can be decreased to 300°F/150°C.
what you’ll need
1 tablespoon (10 grams) baking soda
2 1/4 cups (320 grams) all-purpose flour
1 cup (240 grams) unsalted butter, softened
1 cup (210 grams) granulated sugar
1/2 teaspoon (3 grams) salt
5 (100 grams) egg yolks
1 teaspoon (4 grams) Madécasse Pure Bourbon Vanilla Extract
1 whole egg, beaten with 2 tablespoons (30 grams) water
1. Sift together the flour and baking powder and reserve.
2. In a stand mixer bowl fitted with the paddle attachment, combine the butter, sugar, and salt and cream together until light and fluffy.
3. Slowly add egg yolks, followed by the vanilla, scraping down the bowl after each addition.
4. Add the flour and baking powder, mixing on low speed just until combined. Remove from the bowl then chill.
5. Roll the dough on a flat surface dusted with flour, to thickness of roughly 1/4 – inch. Cut individual cookies using a 2- inch ring cutter.
6. Transfer the cookies to a parchment lined baking sheet and lightly brush with egg wash.
7. Bake in an oven preheated to 350°F/176°C for 12-15 minutes, or until evenly golden brown. Remove from the oven and allow to cool.
Serving suggestion: Delicious on their own, but also pair well with a bowl of fresh fruit and Vanilla Pastry Cream.